Flour Sack Assignments

The flour sack assignment allowed us to start working with characters for the first time. In the first part of the assignment, we had to create a gesture drawing sheet of our flour sacks in our own art style.

I decided to have my floursack in many different poses where it was feeling strong, confused, surprised, relaxed, drunk, and flying through the air.

The gestures where the flour sack is flying through the air and when it is face down on the ground inspired the second part of my assignment.


In the second part, we had to animate our flour sacks performing an action or emphasizing an emotion. At first, I wanted my flour sack to jump and belly flop into a pool. I watched Professor Corrigan's Instructors Example and used that to help me with the beginning of the animation where my flour sack jumps. As I was animating I realized that I forgot to add the pool in and have it land in the pool, instead I had my flour sack impacting with the ground. I decided to run with a different idea at that point where there is a small inflatable pool and the flour sack missed it when trying to complete the belly flop. 

I had worked on it outside of class so I had extra time in class to add a small wave at the beginning like one of the poses on my gesture sheet.

This is what my first attempt looked like:

After the critique in class, I kept the flour sack leaning while it was waving instead of pausing in one spot.


Here is my final product:

Comments

Popular Posts